Family Sponsorship

Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are at least 18 years old can sponsor certain relatives to become to permanent resident of Canada if they meet the conditions. There are two main categories:

Sponsor a spouse or minor children

Citizens or permanent residents of Canada can sponsor their spouse, common-law partner and children to immigrate to Canada if they meet certain conditions. If the spouse and children are already in Canada, they can apply for permanent residency within Canada; if the spouse and children are living in another country, they can apply for permanent residency from outside Canada. This type of application and processing are relatively simple and fast.

Sponsor parents or grandparents

Canadian permanent residents or citizens may sponsor their parents or grandparents to apply for permanent residency of Canada. The law stipulates that financial guarantee is required to prove to the Canadian government that the sponsor is capable of providing long-term financial support for the parents or grandparents.